There comes a time in (almost) every brand’s life where a little bit of updating is required. Just like people, sometimes the things that we have become accustomed to grow old right before our very eyes. Does this mean they need to be killed? Absolutely not, but a little bit of tender love and care certainly go a long way. As such, I decided to rebrand one of my all time favorite hot sauces: Valentina.
Selected Target Group
Hot sauce is a young man’s game. Or young woman’s game. No gender bias here. Hot sauces are targeted at people aged 18-35 and that is where the inspiration for the new design came from. Younger people are more likely to use the design of a product to determine whether or not to buy it. Valentina’s initial design was not bad, but it left something to be desired. As such, I believe that a more modern approach is the way to go.
Big Idea to Redesign the Package
Hot sauce is market that is full of competition. It seems as though there is a new hot sauce craze every couple of years. As such, keeping a heightened brand image is vital for the success of the sauce. A hot sauce from Mexico has the capability to show off the heritage of hot sauce in Mexico. The Aztecs used sauces made of chili peppers and salt that are the origins for hot sauce today. Valentina’s ingredients are simple, like those of the ancient Aztecs, which could be used to showcase that legacy. I redesigned the label for Valentina Hot Sauce to bring forward this legacy and show that hot sauce is the future, because it is the past. People are interested in the story behind a brand. Promoting this story can drive more sales as the information leaves more lasting impressions on the consumers.
Now, package redesign isn’t something that happens all at once. Inspiration is key. As such, I created a Pinterest board and looked for inspiration from people that have already been successful at rebranding. A link to that board can be found here.
Color Scheme and Swatches
From this point (after I redesigned the logo and determined color schemes) I needed to create the rest of the design for the label. I needed to make a label that would fit and that would match the theme and feel that is produced from the logo.
Process of Flat Design
In order to make the design appear more clean and professional (and after some critique from colleagues), I upped the font size, fixed some of the issues with leading, got rid of old branding materials, and worked to make everything more legible and clear. I then swapped the one label out for two, with the nutritional facts being located on the back. This is the final version of the flat design:
Then came the process of actually getting the label onto a bottle of Valentina to see just how successful the design was. After about 8 rounds of printing, I got to a place where I was satisfied. I then took an Exacto knife and trimmed the label out of sticker paper and secure it to a freshly de-labeled bottle of Valentina.
Overall, this project taught me a lot about how to adequately design packaging and labeling for products, which was an area I had never ventured into before. There were definitely unexpected areas that caused problems, like the printing and cutting as securing the label, but in the end those things helped me grow.